The Truth about Planned Parenthood
Prior to the release of Planned Parenthood’s report two other reports were released that highlighted both bad and good news related to abortion.
The bad news comes from a Center for Disease Control report that showed how much abortion affects Hispanics and African-Americans (the report is incomplete as many states do not report the number of abortions). According to the report reported of the 765,651 abortions that were reported to CDC a high percentage of minorities were targeted by abortion:
(N)on-Hispanic white women and non-Hispanic black women accounted for the largest percentages of abortions (36.8% and 35.7%, respectively), whereas Hispanic women and non-Hispanic women in the other races category accounted for smaller percentages (21.0% and 6.5%, respectively). Non-Hispanic white women had the lowest abortion rates (8.6 abortions per 1,000 women aged 15–44 years) and ratios (141 abortions per 1,000 live births), whereas non-Hispanic black women had the highest abortion rates (31.8 abortions per 1,000 women aged 15–44 years) and ratios (483 abortions per 1,000 live births).
For most races 2010 was an increase in targeting:
Among the 22 areas that reported by race/ethnicity every year during 2007–2010, abortion rates decreased for all racial/ethnic groups, although decreases for non-Hispanic black women were smaller than for other groups. For non-Hispanic white women the abortion rate decreased 11% (from 9.3 abortions per 1,000 women in 2007 to 8.3 in 2010), for Hispanic women it decreased 9% (from 20.7 abortions per 1,000 women in 2007 to 18.9 in 2010), and for non-Hispanic black women it decreased 5% (from 34.8 abortions per 1,000 women in 2007 to 33.2 in 2010)
Further in major cities the report reveals that the targeting is more intense. 63.7 percent of African-American and Hispanic babies were aborted in Texas, 64.8 percent in the nation’s capital and 73.2 percent in the southern state of Georgia. New York City continues to be the abortion capital with 81.9 percent of the babies aborted being African American or Hispanic.
In more positive news a Bloomberg News report from late November 2013 finds that at least 73 U.S. abortion clinics have shut down since 2011 with half of that number being attributed to state led efforts to regulate abortion facilities. Bloomberg also attributes some of the closures to exposure of some of the practices of abortionists like Kermit Gosnell:
New laws are responsible for roughly half of the closures, while declining demand, industry consolidation, and crackdowns on unfit providers have also contributed to the drop.
So how does Planned Parenthood’s annual report reflect some of the above news? Thanks to taxpayer dollars, Planned Parenthood continues to profit off of abortion – while lying about the other “women’s health” issues they supposedly cover. Luckily Susan B. Anthony List looked at the report and broke down some of the facts for us:
- In 2012, Planned Parenthood performed 327,166 abortions, a 2% drop from 2011.
- In 2002, Planned Parenthood performed 227,385 abortions, meaning they perform 100,000 more abortions than they did 10 years ago.
- In 2012, abortions made up 93.8% of Planned Parenthood’s pregnancy services, while prenatal care and adoption referrals accounted for only 5.6% (19,506) and 0.6% (2,197), respectively.
- For every adoption referral, Planned Parenthood performed 149 abortions.
- Prenatal care services have dropped 32% in one year, and 52% since 2009. Adoption referrals are also down 4.5% in one year.
- Planned Parenthood reported a total of three million clients in 2012, meaning that 11% of all Planned Parenthood clients received an abortion.
- Cancer screenings provided by Planned Parenthood continue to drop, dropping 14% in one year and 39% since 2009.
- Planned Parenthood reported $58.2 million in excess revenue, and more than $1.3 billion in net assets.
Pro-abortion groups have given tens of millions to abortion advocates running for office (pro-abortion PAC EMILY’s List has the fifth biggest “super-PAC” in the country) as well as shares a lot of big donors with the President, who has been ardently pro-abortion, and at times anti-life (voting to defend partial birth abortion in the Illinois state senate), since early in his political career. A couple of years ago the President was even willing to shut down the whole government over the issue of taxpayer dollars going to Planned Parenthood. Clearly the multi-million dollar investment Ms. Richards and her allies put into the Obama Campaigns are paying off in hundreds of millions of dollars of taxpayer funds.