9 Easy Steps to Help Women in Need in Your Neighborhood
Earlier this month, Major League Baseball hosted its annual all-star game, where the League’s best players faced off in a friendly match to highlight the talent and contributions of the all-stars. Thinking about the all-stars or the MVPs of the pro-life movement, the Pregnancy Resource Centers (PRCs) across the country come immediately to mind.
PRCs have helped millions of women and babies over the years by supporting women facing unexpected pregnancies, and empowering these women to choose life by providing love, care, support, and material resources. PRCs often provide parenting classes, baby clothes, and sometimes even temporary housing for parents who bravely choose life. But as a 99% volunteer-led movement, PRCs are only able to do their good work when they have generous pro-life advocates supporting and even stocking their local centers with necessary supplies. Here’s where you come in.
Are you wondering how you can make a difference in your neighborhood by helping moms and babies? Take the March for Life’s July Give Life Challenge, and host a baby shower for your local PRC!
We have provided step-by-step instructions/suggestions on how to host a shower for your local PRC:
- Contact your local PRC and determine if they have any specific needs.
- Gather a group of friends to assist with the Baby Shower.
- Determine a location, perhaps a local church, community center, your home, or even the PRC you will be supporting.
- Gather your gifts – from diapers to gently-used baby clothes. You could even find a local business who could support a more expensive gift such as a crib or car seat.
- Invite friends, neighbors, and anyone who wants to help women and babies! If you work closely with the PRC, you may even invite some of the women they are serving.
- Prepare some simple decorations and treats to make a memorable experience. Check out our PRC Baby Shower Pinterest Board for ideas!
- Throw your shower! Be sure to share with your guests about the important work the PRC is doing in your community.
- Deliver all the gifts and resources to your PRC.
- Share your experience on social media, and encourage others to do the same!
Baby showers are a great way to bring your local pro-life community together for a fun event, and support your local PRC (and local moms facing unexpected pregnancies) at the same time. These showers additionally help to spread the word about your local PRC’s work to friends and neighbors.
You can also get ideas from Live Action’s list of “10 helpful ways to support a Pregnancy Resource Center” and the Pregnant on Campus Initiative by Students for Life on how to arrange a baby item drive outside a local Target or Wal-Mart.
In light of the information that we continue to learn about Planned Parenthood’s deceptive and destructive practices, supporting your local PRC is critically important. For more information on our July Give Life Challenge and for PRC resources, click HERE.
As always we would love to hear your stories! Please share your experience on social media or let us know if you would be willing to author a guest blog post about your experience. Helping your local PRC will go a long way to assist and share love with women and babies in your community, as well build a local culture of life.