Our Give Life Challenge for the month of April is to share information about post-abortion healing.
A critical component in building a culture of life is helping to heal the wounds our loved ones; helping them to find hope. Part of this involves simply telling the truth about the harm of abortion to mother and child, and offering resources for women suffering from abortion. As our Silent No More speaker at this year’s March for Life shared, “It seemed easy, it seemed harmless, and that’s what they tell you. But I’m here to tell you, 30 years later, I suffered with the pain and regret of abortion.”
You may have a friend or family member, whether you know it or not, who is in need of post-abortive healing. There are many wonderful ministries and resources available for both women and men who carry this burden. Or perhaps you know someone who is thinking of abortion and not aware of the emotional and physical harm it may bring. Below are a handful of very simple ideas for you to help get the word out about hope and healing after abortion during the month of April. You may make a huge difference in someone’s life:
What You Can Do:
- Creatively post resources for hope after abortion. For example, you can put up a flyer on the back of a women’s bathroom stall at your workplace or church.
- Share a Silent No More Testimony via social media
- Use your social media networks to provide information on the risks of abortion to women. Let women and men who are struggling with their own or a loved one’s abortion experience know that you care.
- Post, tweet, share a March for Life social media meme (see below) that provides a message of hope.
- Hope After Abortion – Project Rachel Ministry is the Catholic Church’s diocesan-based ministry to those suffering in the aftermath of abortion. Confidential and non-judgmental help is available for all who seek God’s mercy, healing and love. If you or someone you know is suffering after abortion, or for more information, visit HopeAfterAbortion.org or EsperanzaPosaborto.org.
- PATH: Post Abortion Treatment and Healing – The PATH ministry provides a safe place for individuals suffering from post-abortion trauma to grieve their loss and reconcile with themselves, others and God. PATH also educates the community regarding post-abortion syndrome, its treatment and prevention.
- Ramah International – Wide range of resources offering the hope of healing to abortion’s wounded. This site gives a helpful summary statement of the post abortion stress syndrome, and locates a help center near you.
- Abortion Changes You – This is a confidential space for those who are touched by abortion, whether the experience happened recently or years ago. Abortion Changes You is a refuge for those who wish to tell their story and begin the process of healing.
- Lumina, Hope & Healing After Abortion – This is a post-abortion healing ministry of Good Counsel Homes.Lumina offers healing retreats for women, men, siblings, and those who aborted because of an adverse diagnosis. In addition, Lumina provides training for clergy members and mental health professionals in post abortion stress. They have a network of women and men who have walked through the pain of abortion who are also ready to accompany you through the darkness, into the joy of a renewed life.
- Abortion Recovery InterNational (ARIN) – Abortion Recovery InterNational (ARIN) maintains an online directory of more than one thousand affiliates who provide personal, confidential and non-judgmental assistance to those hurting from a past abortion. They also have a toll-free hotline where you can speak to an abortion recovery specialist 1-800-395-HELP.
- National Helpline for Abortion Recovery – National Helpline for Abortion Recovery provides confidential nonjudgmental care 24/7 for those needing help after abortion. The National Helpline is staffed by trained phone consultants who have personally experienced the pain of abortion but who have also found hope and healing. Phone them at 1-866-482-5433.
- Rachel’s Vineyard – Rachel’s Vineyard offers confidential, nonjudgmental weekend programs and other services for anyone affected by abortion, including a toll free hotline (1-877-HOPE 4 ME) and email buddies for those desiring emotional support by email.
- Four Steps to Healing – Four Steps to Healing is a purse-sized paperback book which allows you to begin to heal from abortion issues in the privacy of your home. Nonjudgmental and informative, it provides steps you can take on your own, as well as help you to discover whether a group program may offer additional benefit.
- APART: Alliance for Post-Abortion Research and Training – In today’s world, information is critical. When confronted with so much information about abortion and its many health effects, it’s easy to be confused and even misinformed. APART was formed to address this need, to assist those who may not have the opportunity or resources to study the science available – in short, to stand apart.
- Silent No More Awareness – Silent No More Awareness is a campaign to make the public aware of the devastation abortion brings to women and men. The campaign seeks to expose and heal the secrecy and silence surrounding the emotional and physical pain of abortion. There are 2,233 testimonies posted on the campaign website, with 332 that are shared via video.