On the first anniversary of her canonization and the twentieth anniversary of her death, we are reflecting upon Mother Teresa’s beautiful understanding of the inherent dignity of the human person.
In an op-ed for the Washington Times, March for Life President Jeanne Mancini recalled the stirring plea that Mother Teresa gave in her speech at the National Prayer Breakfast in 1997, just shortly before she passed away.
“Please don’t kill the child. I want the child. Please give me the child. I am willing to accept any child who would be aborted and to give that child to a married couple who will love the child and be loved by the child,” shared Mother Teresa.
During her lifetime and to this day, the world admires this woman of faith for the love and care she showed for each and every person, including the unborn. We all could take her example and wisdom to heart.
Enjoy and be inspired by some of our favorite Mother Teresa quotes or “words of wisdom.”
- “Abortion is profoundly anti-women. Three-quarters of its victims are women: Half the babies and all the mothers.”
- “If you want a love message to be heard, it has got to be sent out. To keep a lamp burning, we have to keep putting oil in it.”
3. “It is a poverty to decide that a child must die so that you may live as you wish.”
- “If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.”
- “Any country that accepts abortion is not teaching its people to love, but to use violence to get what they want. That is why the greatest destroyer of love and peace is abortion.”
- “Yesterday is gone. Tomorrow has not yet come. We have only today. Let us begin.”
- “In this life we cannot do great things. We can only do small things with great love.”